Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
This is an update Saint Mary's response to the Covid-19 situation.
Yesterday the Denver Department of Public Health & Environment issued a "Stay at Home" order. This order restricts employers and employees, businesses open to the public, and travel "except for certain essential activities and work to provide essential business and government services...."
You would expect that I consider spiritual health and well being to be essential. I was pleasantly surprised that the City agrees with that, and that the order exempts churches as Essential Businesses:
- f. Essential Businesses. For the purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence to work for or obtain services at any "Essential Businesses," which for purposes of this order means:
- xxiii. Faith-based establishments and houses of worship, including but not limited to, churches, synagogues, chapels, and mosques; however, these institutions are strongly encouraged to implement an electronic platform for services and/or more frequent services with smaller congregations.
We have already implemented more frequent, smaller services to comply with State requirements. We are also exploring the possibility of streaming services.
The remainder of our suggestions remain in place:
- If you feel sick, exercise Christian Charity and stay home.
- If you are in a high risk group, stay home.
- If you are uncomfortable for any reason, stay home.
Some additional resources for "social distancing" worship:
- The Book of Common Prayer on-line: http://commonprayer.org/
- Cradle of Prayer (audio of the Daily Offices): https://cradleofprayer.org
- St. Matthews Church Newport Beach (updates from Bp. Scarlett and streaming services): https://stmatthewsnewport.com/
- YouTube interview with Dr. Centeno (the interviewer has a political leaning, but the interview is straight forward and worth the time): https://youtu.be/IkOdpYvK6OQ
- Johns Hopkins University: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/
- New England Journal of Medicine: https://www.nejm.org
Stay safe, use reasonable precautions, and try to stay calm as well. God bless you all.
Your servant in Christ,